Orono Paddlers is a community of paddling enthusiasts centered in Orono, Maine.
Final two weeks of the Stillwater River Community Paddling Series!
Thursday, 8/17: C-1 “Championship”
Thursday, 8/24: Junior / Senior tandem Championship
and thanks to Mike and B.J., the war canoes will be there!
Mission, Goals and Objectives
Mission: To promote recreational and competitive paddlesports through education and opportunity.
Goals and Objectives: To achieve its mission, Orono Paddlers will:
Increase participation in paddlesports, by
- Actively recruiting youth to paddling programs.
- Creating and sustaining safe, healthy community paddling opportunities.
- Forming a variety of paddling groups based on local interest.
- Creating pathways by which paddlers may improve skills and confidence and thereby become competitive at local, regional, national, and international levels.
- Using social media to promote paddling opportunities and create a calendar of events.
Promote paddling safety and education, by
- Providing opportunities for people to become trained coaches and instructors.
- Hosting workshops, clinics and other opportunities for paddlers to meet and help each other gain safe paddling knowledge and skills.
Improve and maintain local waterfront access and facilities for paddlers, by
- Improving parking, access paths, portage trails, and launching sites.
- Creating and maintaining boat storage facilities at popular launch sites.
Promote environmental stewardship of our local waters, by
- Working closely with the Town of Orono and other local organizations to coordinate watershed cleanups.
- Providing and maintaining trash and recycling receptacles at popular launch sites.
- Raising the community’s awareness of conservation issues and opportunities of local importance.